Browsing the NHL stats page…
If you browse through the stats at NHL.com you will find some strange things. Here are a few that I have found.
1. Alex Steen of the Leafs has a league best +24 on the road but has a horrific -17 at home which is good for 3rd worst in the NHL. That is quite the difference.
2. Boston has scored 76 goals in the first period, 66 in the second and a league low 58 in the third while they have given up 74 in the first, 92 in the second and a league high 102 in the third. Me thinks some more endurance conditioning might be needed.
3. If Sean Avery plays in the final 4 games for the Rangers he will have played 84 games this year.
4. Gary Roberts is the second oldest player in the league and is 8, 146 days older than teammate Jordan Staal, who is the youngest in the league.
5. Chris Chelios is 1, 569 days older than Gary Roberts.
6. The Vancouver Canucks have played in a league high 47 one goal games and have a 29-11-7 record. The Ottawa Senators have played in a league low 30 one goal games and have a 10-12-8 record in them.
7. Chicago has scored on just 9.1% of power play opportunities on home ice.
8. I’ve mentioned this before but it deserves mentioning again because it might earn the Lightning a playoff berth but Tampa goalies have a better save percentage in the shoot out (.936) than they do during the rest of the hockey game (league worst .884).